The team at American Cleaning Service doesn’t just offer janitorial services, but also disaster restoration, such as fire damage clean-up. With everyone gearing up to battle the upcoming cold weather and get ready for the holidays, they should be aware of potential fire hazards.
Here are some items that could cause a fire, and suggestions on fire prevention:
Fireplaces and Wood Stoves
- The chimney needs to be cleaned and inspected yearly before use
- Place ashes from the fireplace or stove outside in a covered metal container at least 3 feet away from anything that is flammable
- Avoid burning trash or gift wrap in the fireplace or wood stove
- Keep portable heaters at least 3 feet away from everything in the room like furniture, curtains, etc.
- Make sure heaters are UL approved and have a tip-over shut-off function
- Check the cord for any damage and replace if damaged
- Turn off the heater when leaving the house or going to bed
- Place the tree away from any heat sources or combustible materials
- Water the live or cut tree so it doesn’t dry out
- When the needles get brittle and starting falling, dispose of the tree
- Lights should be UL approved
- Check the lights for any damaged lights, cord fraying or exposed wires
- Do not use any more than 3 sets of lights on a single extension cord
- Turn off lights before leaving the house or going to bed
- Make sure smoke alarms are in working order before the holiday season
- Make it a habit to change out the batteries twice a year. When the time change occurs is a good reminder.
Preparing and planning can greatly reduce the chance of a fire starting in the home this holiday season. However, accidents happen. For help cleaning up and restoring the home after fire damage this holiday season, call American Cleaning Service. We are available 24 hours a day for all your emergency restoration needs.