Fire damage

Winter tends to see more house fires than other time of the year. The reason? People spend more time indoors with more appliances, heaters and candles, which increases the risk of a fire. There are many things that can cause a devastating house fire. Some of the most common causes are:

  1. Candles

Candles are great for making a room smell nice, providing a soft glow, and even adding a little warmth to the air. However, when candles are left unattended, there’s a chance of a fire. More than half of candle fires start because the candle is left too close to a flammable object. They’re also easily knocked over by people or pets.

  1. Electrical and Lighting

Electrical fires can’t always be prevented. They often happen without a moment’s notice due to a malfunction or failure. Be careful when using outlets and extension cords. Always read the instructions on how these should be used.

  1. Cooking

Cooking is the number one source of house fires. Often they are caused by people leaving pots or pans unattended on the stove. An average of 156,600 fires per year are started this way. Don’t leave pots or pans unattended and never throw water on a grease fire.

  1. Smoking

Fires caused by smoking have declined in recent years because fewer people are smoking. However, they do still happen. Smoking outside is the best way to prevent this type of fire from happening and making sure all cigarette butts are completely out.

  1. Children

According to the NFPA, children start an average of 7,100 home fires per year. Children six-years-old and under are more likely to cause fires indoors with matches or a lighter. Keep these items out of reach from children and teach them about fire safety.

Accidents happen, which is why American Cleaning Service’s restoration services cover fire damage. Our team of specialists will work quickly to get the home completely restored as fast as possible so homeowners can get back to their lives.